river-dev mailing list archives

From Elijah Menifee <elijahcmeni...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jini.org and mailing list
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:06:58 GMT
I have run a 'wget -o obtainjiniorg.log -w 5 -m -k www.jini.org' so I have a
mostly working local copy of the information(in non-wiki mode), however I am
unsure if there are any utilities or methods for converting/hosting this
archive on the Apache infrastructure.

The jini.org uses MediaWiki where as the River site is set up with MoinMoin,
the mark-up source format for these appears is different along with
available macros and I had no luck just pasting the the jini.org src to
river. So I am currently manually formatting by pasting the text and adding
MoinMoin specific markup indicators.

The upside is I am making progress (slow but steady) in getting the Jini
Spec documents on the river site (plan on doing FAQ/HowTo/Tutorial
information after I get all the specs in place)

The downsides are as follows:
 1. Not very familiar with Wiki's in general so there may be MoinMoin markup
features I am not using, or categorized pages appropriately...
 2. Not sure how to get images to the Apache site, so currently I am in
lining the images with links to the jini.org site, which means if the
hosting for jini.org goes down the images will be broken ( the robots.txt on
jini.org excluded the /images/ however some of the spec images appear to be
availeble out of the /files/... hiearchy so I do have a local copy of some
of the images)
 3. formatting is different, and there is a chance for typos, so someone
more familiar with jini may want to take a cursory glance after I have done
the initial grunt work of the port.
 4. Not sure how MoinMoin handles page protection, so the specs are
currently open for anyone to edit/spam/destroy.  The original spec pages on
the jini.org are protected...

If anyone has any better ideas for getting the most important information on
to the River wiki, I am open to suggestions, however until then I will
continue to manually port the info as time allows.

Until the porting work is done (...still open to suggestions on a better
method than manual document editing...), and we get the images local, we
need the hosting of jini.org to remain.