river-dev mailing list archives

From Elijah Menifee <elijahcmeni...@gmail.com>
Subject Jini.org and mailing list
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2009 02:12:39 GMT
Just as I was getting the itch to look into JavaSpaces/Jini again as a
possible technology to use for a possible redesign( at least a proof of
concept) of my company's internal software, the announcement went out that
the JavaSpaces-Users and Jini-Users mailing list were coming to an end.

SO, I started looking into the River project, and have found the recent
river-dev mail list archives, As far as I can tell still no decision has
actually been made about what to do about jini.org, should it remain
distinct from the River project, is it going to stay funded, should all the
data be ported with a redirect?  I believe I came across the deadline of
July 8....

If my company was not a month behind in payroll, I would offer to at least
contribute via PayPal to fund the current site or domain name registration.
However since I am currently in a bind financial I figured I could at least
contribute some evenings and weekend work (Currently no other plans for July
4th).  Just in case no community decision is made I am planning to start
manually adding what I think could be relavent from the Jini.org site to the
Apache River wiki. The down-side however, is that I have not actively
followed the jini project in quite some time, SO I do not know for sure what
might be the most important information or what information is out of date
or irrelevant to the River project(I understand Jini is at 2.1, the last
version I worked with was 1.2.1)  In a way this will give me a chance to
re-familiarize myself with what I think IS a great redundant distributed
platform.

Also there is some talk that we may manage to get the archive lists released
and stored on the River site, If the current plan falls through I have a
large portion of the JAVASPACES-USERS since DEC 2002 in my IMAP Maildir
folder.  If needed I am confident I can browse through the list to make sure
no irrelevant e-mails got save to that Maildir, and double check to see if
any other messages got saved somewhere else.  It would at least be a partial
archive since there was a lot of non JavaSpace specific/Jini only mailing I
did not archive and others may have gotten lost over the years, still it is
approximately 1850 messages for the JavaSpaces info with some generic Jini
bleed over.