river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>
Subject Re: OSGi RFC 119 Distributed OSGi - (Was [RE: OSGi and Jini])
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:59:17 GMT
Sam, I am at a loss for words...

It's clear that I am not able to ask for help in understanding the benefits that
you see, or perhaps you can't relate them to me.  I'm just looking for your
experiences and the values you see.  I know what OSGi says it is.  I know how to
read the documentation (again and again) to see what it currently supports in
each new release.

That's not what I am looking for.  I'm trying to get first hand reports and
recommendations on what is valuable to those who have used it and deployed
things using it.  I want to see which of the possible set of features that Jini
could provide for OSGi inter-working would allow someone to get some benefits.

For example, preferred class loading solves some class loading issues.  But, if
some parts of OSGi have removed those benefits from your view and you don't need
them any longer, I'd like to know more about that.

Do you just like OSGi because it's a container that you drop things into and
they work?

I want to know the details of your experiences please.

Gregg Wonderly