river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: OSGi RFC 119 Distributed OSGi - (Was [RE: OSGi and Jini])
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:49:22 GMT
Sam Chance wrote:
> In fact, OSGi does help a lot with "Classpath Hell".

I didn't see a reply from my earlier request for more information on the issues
that the OSGi experienced think OSGi helps the most with regarding this issue.
I'd really like to see what issues you all have had and that OSGi has addressed.

Is it just that packaging encloses the set of things you need to make things
work and you don't have to worry about that, or is it something else?  Many
containers use ClassLoader hierarchies of various shapes to isolate and
"interrelate" different types of package structures.  I'm just interested in
knowing more about the issues and benefits you all recognize from your experiences.

 > OSGi also adds another layer of security above the standard Java.

What do you feel is important about this?  Authentication vs Authorization
issues would be great to have your opinions and experience on.

 > Versioning is a "first-class function" in OSGi.

This is a big deal for separating old and new.  I think we have a good bit of
this in the PreferredClass mechanisms in Jini 2.x so that implementations can be
  forced into use for bug fixing and interfacing with different versions of
difference services.  Is there anything else beside classloader based separation
that you all find important in what OSGi provides?

Gregg Wonderly