river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OSGi RFC 119 Distributed OSGi - (Was [RE: OSGi and Jini])
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:12:11 GMT

On Jul 14, 2009, at 500PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> Dennis, can you add any additional information about how
> configurations of multiple things are put together in either single
> files, or how multiple files are integrated together?  I do like the
> simplicity and the power of this.

The approach is similar to the traditional Jini configuration, where
you can provide multiple components per file. The difference with the
Groovy approach is you provide the @Component annotation to indicate
what configuration component the Groovy class s for.

I've attached the Rio Cybernode starter and service configs as an
example. Let me know if this doesnt address your questions.

Overrides are also supported, but the override is not passed in as a
string (as in the traditional configuration), the override is also a
Groovy class the extends the configuration it is overriding and
overrides the property that it is changing.

As you would expect inheritance is also supported, if you take a look
at Rio, you'll see a good example for the activatable groovy configs.

> It might also be interesting to see if a Scala version would be
> interesting or have any different capabilities since there are
> additional language features there too.

Yep, that could be interesting as well

Dennis