river-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Chance <sgcha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jini.org
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:08:48 GMT
I'm "pleasantly stunned" to hear someone mention OSGi in this list. OSGi is
effectively the norm for Java modularization and all the other things that
come with the standard.  All the big guys are migrating or have migrated to
OSGi as there internal architecture. (See [1], [2], [3])  Distributed OSGi
(RFC 119) and OSGi in general exhibits *many* analogies to the Jini model.
I do mean "many".  It's a missed opportunity that Jini/River has not
embraced OSGi and sought to be the de facto standard for [managing]
Distributed OSGi.

Jini was touted to be "all things distributed." OSGi is going to be the
common denominator across Enterprise, Mobile, Residential, Automotive and
other sectors. What better choice is there than Jini/River to be the
distribution element to create the seamless interoperation of OSGi bundles
(i.e. services) for intra- and inter-sector interoperation? Jini/River
could/should power the upcoming "wave" of convergence across all the
sectors.

To the best of my knowledge, only Paremus has seen the vision and began to
implement it (See [4]). Their runtime fabric is fully autonomic,
decentralized and dynamic.  It features no single point of failure and no
single point of control.  It's also a self similar architecture, meaning it
eats its own dog food!  The runtime manages OSGi bundles and the fabric
services are also OSGi bundles. It uses Service Component Architecture (SCA)
to assemble bundles into systems; and yes, the fabric bundles are similarly
wired together using SCA to form the fabric services.

As a disclaimer, I get nothing for extolling the Paremus fabric!  But as far
as I know it's the only one!  What a vision!  Yet, no one in this community
- to the best of my knowledge - even considers OSGi as a managed artifact or
an organic aspect of Jini/River.

[1] http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/News/2008_09_16_worldwide_market.pdf
[2] http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/News/2009_02_24_OSGi_Emerging.pdf
[3] http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/News/2009_02_12_100Members.pdf
[4] http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/02/infiniflow-12

Thank you!
Sam

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> I'll contribute too, let's get that Paypal account going, what a good idea
> ;)
>
> I've recently spent some time going over some of the content on jini.organd feel strongly
that key information there will assist us with River's

--
Sam Chance
443-694-5293 (m)