river-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tom.ho...@sucfin.com>
Subject Jini Tutorials (was: RE: Jini.org)
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:53:48 GMT
Hi Jeremy,

I'm in the process of (*) writing a Jini tutorial that glosses over a lot of the complexities.
 It's in the style of "I don't care what an exporter or end-point is I just want to know the
minimum steps required to get 'hello world' written on the console".

I've had very little time recently to dedicate to it which is why I've not been making any
noises.  What's your time scale like?  What are your specific needs?  I can see if I can get
some basic points down to help you out over the weekend or next week if that's in any way
helpful.

Failing that, there's some good papers linked from here; http://www.jini.org/wiki/Category:Getting_Started.
 Dan Creswell's in particular, although this does go into some detail on exporters etc which
may or may not be helpful when you just want something more basic.

Good luck,

Tom

(*) - This phrase sounds better than "I've done about 1% of"

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Easton-Marks [mailto:coachjeremyeastonmarks@gmail.com]
Sent: Thu 25/06/2009 20:11
To: river-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Rick Innis; JAVASPACES-USERS@java.sun.com; JINI-USERS@java.sun.com
Subject: Re: Jini.org

I agree with Patrick that a minimum the site needs to be redirected to the
Apache River site. If that is going to happen then we need to get as much
content as possible over to the Apache site.

On another note; I am looking for a good Hello World Style Jini Tutorial. I
am currently working for a company called click2try.com and I would like to
use Jini/River as a demo for our ability to help developers learn new
software. You can see what we have right now at click2try.com. If anybody
has something like that tutorial or can suggest additional or another
tutorial that would be great. If all goes well I will open up the Virtual
Machine and people can try out Jini/River with out having to download,
configure, and setup.

Jeremy R. Easton-Marks

"ĂȘtre fort pour ĂȘtre utile"

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Sam Chance <sgchance@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow! This whole topic is scary. I know factually Jini is still
> relevant in certain places. I don't want it to die, personally.
>
> Is there an easy way for individuals (like me) to acquire the content
> on jini.org?
>
> Can we set up a fund or account using Paypal? This would allow us to
> individually contribute, as long as a trusted agent disperses funds to
> pay the bills.
>
> Also, can we change the wiki model to a controlled access site? Casual
> visitors get read-only rights. Others may apply for write-enabled
> accounts.
>
> I am willing to pay the bills as the trusted agent, if the group is
> willing to allow me.
>
> Just don't let it die.
>
> Sam
>
> On 6/25/09, Jeff Ramsdale <jeff.ramsdale@gmail.com> wrote:
> > jini.org is currently hosted at Dreamhost and is run on Mediawiki.
> > I'm open to whatever the community decides. It's been frustrating
> combating
> > the spammers while trying to keep jini.org as open as possible (per wiki
> > culture). I'd be more defensive of keeping the site if the community had
> > taken greater ownership of it, but a lot of the content is stuff I copied
> > from the previous site (like the Jini specs and all the content from Jini
> > Community Meetings). I'd really hate to lose the JCM stuff, in
> particular.
> >
> > -jeff
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Rick Innis <rick@innis.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> This is just a heads up that we have to decide if we want to
> >>>

> >> I use Dreamhost for my own hosting, and I'd be happy to add the
> >> jini.orgsite to that.
> >>
> >>  We have an outstanding bill for $239.40 that is due by July 8th to keep
> >>>

> >> I' also happy to chip in towards this.
> >>
> >>  We can either:
> >>>

> >> I agree with Patrick that the domain name should be kept up. I think
> >> migrating the useful content to the Apache River project is probably a
> >> good
> >> idea, and eventually redirecting jini.org there - it makes it clear
> that
> >> there's one source for the project.
> >>
> >> R.

> >> body
> >> of the message "signoff JAVASPACES-USERS".  For general help, send email
> >> listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body of the message "help".
> >>
> >> To view past JAVASPACES-USERS postings, please see:
> >> http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javaspaces-users.html
> >>

> --
> Sent from my mobile device
>
> Sam Chance
> 443-694-5293 (m)
> 410-694-0240 x108 (o)

www.sucdenfinancial.com

Sucden Financial Limited, Plantation Place South, 60 Great Tower Street, London EC3R 5AZ
Telephone +44 203 207 5000

Registered in England no. 1095841
VAT registration no. GB 446 9061 33

Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and entered in the FSA
register under no. 114239

This email, including any files transmitted with it, is confidential and may be privileged.
It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, please notify postmaster@sucfin.com immediately and delete it from
your computer system.

We believe, but do not warrant, that this email and its attachments are virus-free, but you
should check.

Sucden Financial Limited may monitor traffic data of both business and personal emails. By
replying to this email, you consent to Sucden Financial 's monitoring the content of any emails
you send to or receive from Sucden Financial . Sucden Financial is not liable for any opinions
expressed by the sender where this is a non-business email.

The contents of this e-mail do not constitute advice and should not be regarded as a recommendation
to buy, sell or otherwise deal with any particular investment.

This message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast.