river-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Junk Mail
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:13:33 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Peter Firmstone<jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:
> I noticed my email address being picked up by junk mailers, searched for it
> on google and noticed it appears in the apache river dev archive, any way we
> can exclude our mail addresses in the archives or replace all @ with "at" to
> prevent robots harvesting our email addresses?

The policy of Apache has been to publish the email archives as-is,
though you may want to contact infrastructure@apache.org to discuss
that.

When you're doing open source, it's generally impossible to keep your
email address secret. Just posting to a public mailing list publishes
your address to the world, and obfuscating it in the list archive
simply delays the inevitable.

My email addresses have been publicly visible with no obfuscation on
numerous web sites continuously for the past 14 years, but I only see
a handful of spam messages per day. As far as I'm concerned, spam
filtering is a solved problem and you can even get it for free from
providers like gmail.

BR,

Jukka Zitting