river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Jini.org
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:23:29 GMT
I'll contribute too, let's get that Paypal account going, what a good
idea ;)

I've recently spent some time going over some of the content on jini.org
and feel strongly that key information there will assist us with River's
future, both technical and philosophical.

I've listened to the speeches in JCM more than once and still find the
information relevant.

There is too much opportunity and potential left for us with River to
let it die, if anything I think that the shortcomings of Java have held
us back to some degree, namely classpath, jar, the complexity of
security and the challenges of the internet.  It'll be interesting to
watch how the OSGi and project Jigsaw evolve and see if there's
potential to use relevant pieces.

I've been thinking that rather than transferring whole jar files via
classfile servers, versioned classes, individually compressed on demand
(using caching with deflate compression and nio byte buffers) to speed
up code transfer over slow networks (provided your not using whole
package imports) and provide greater flexibility if required.
Furthermore, individual classes can evolve and exist alongside legacy
copies, if they can be versioned.  There are other issues in doing so,
however, such as, when to evolve a class with a new version, much like
the versioning issues with serialization.  That would of course require
OpenJDK7.

But first we must make it easier to participate, I think that the
current focus on changes to the build and testing structures will help
us grow, we must continue to do so while preserving the past in order
not to forget important lessons or repeat old mistakes in the future.

N.B. Thank you very much Jim Waldo, for going to the trouble of
retrieving, getting approval for and uploading very relevant
documentation.  And for inspiration...

Cheers,

Peter.