river-dev mailing list archives

From Cees de Groot <cdegr...@ebay.com>
Subject Re: OSGi and Jini
Date Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:03:52 GMT
On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 00:07 -0400, Sam Chance wrote:
> Well, if you aren't excited about OSGi as a module system, then what
> about SCA as an assembly model?  SCA is language- and
> technology-independent. It's being used to build composite systems
> comprised of heterogeneous components.

My two cents - OSGi leaves me scratching my head just as a bit over 10
years ago the J2EE standard did (which was the direct reason I got
involved with Jini). The reason: it standardized a lot of stuff, and I
can see that that is good for creating a marketplace for appserver
vendors etcetera, but like J2EE, OSGi seems a lot of documentation that
doesn't really give *me* (someone who is tasked with building working
stuff for customers and/or employers) any advantages. I can whip up a
"component model" in like 10 seconds, or in any case way faster than it
costs me to dive into OSGi. Unless you're maybe in a very big and/or
rigid organization, I think you can happily ignore OSGi and have not
much to fear in terms of job security.

BTW - any standard that sells well to management, IMNSHO, is fishy and
should be avoided ;-)