river-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Hobbs" <tom.ho...@sucfin.com>
Subject RE: Mock Libs...
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:04:24 GMT
As far as I'm concerned, the reason is the standard one for using mocks.

There was code that needed to be tested that can only be created/used
when it has access to other objects which are not the current test
subjects.

To isolate the code under test, I created an instance and instead of
passing in real objects to its constructor, I passed in mocks.  This has
the effect of ensuring that no other business code gets executed during
the test run apart from the code currently under test.

Also, with the mocks, we can supply known and predictable behaviour to
its method calls which the code under test might be reasonably expected
to use.  Obviously, this has the added benefit of preventing any bugs in
the supporting code (which is not being tested) from manifesting
themselves as bugs in the code under test.

Sorry for labouring the point, I'm using this email to answer Peter's
"Whats a mocking Tool?" question as well.

In my experience of writing unit tests for services, there are so many
dependencies that the only way to isolate the code is to make extensive
use of mock objects.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Tom