river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: JSC - Seven
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:13:31 GMT
Dennis Reedy wrote:
> I'm not sure how one relates to the other?
Make things easier for new users to get started with River? As an
optional addition / extension to River.

Mark Brouwer, the project lead, participates in River.

Just a thought, here's some background:

Seven is an implementation of the Jini Service Container Spec.

This blog has an example:

http://blogs.sun.com/warren/entry/jini_made_easier_writing_a

you'll need to add the following to your hosts table to follow the link
to download seven:

# Internet host table
#
62.177.181.217 www.cheiron.org scm.cheiron.org issue.cheiron.org

from the Cheiron website:

  Seven

Seven is the 'reference' implementation of the Jini™ Service Container
Specification <http://www.cheiron.org/jsc/index.html> that eases the
development and deployment of Jini™ services and provides features such as:

    * manage service registration with various lookup services;
    * support for distributed events, leasing and participation in the
      two-phase commit protocol, these can be persisted for 'persistent'
      services allowing for crash recovery;
    * administration interfaces for life-cycle and join management to a
      service;
    * simple persistence API that can be used e.g. to capture
      transactional state;
    * finding and tracking other services in the djinn;
    * resource management such as allocating threads and leased resources;
    * resource efficiency by employing various tactics to reduce the
      number of threads used by many of the Jini implementation classes;
    * service configuration, like the RMI runtime, (distributed)
      security, logging and configuration of objects used by the service
      itself;
    * controlling codebase annotation and serving download jar files, as
      well as versioning of services and downloadable code;
    * standardized packaging format (Service Archive) for Jini services,
      see JSC Service Repository
      <http://www.cheiron.org/seven/repository.html>;
    * installation and upgrade of a service and container, services can
      be upgraded without bringing the container down and changes to
      mobile code will propagate through the network;
    * complete security support for SSL and Kerberos, also for the
      discovery protocols;
    * role based access control for remote method invocations and for
      authorization decisions within your JSC Service code;
    * all aspects of security are dynamically (re)configurable so your
      environment can adapt to new trust relationships;
    * container can be configured through a Jini administration
      interface even the security aspects and service configuration
      data, this enables you create very dedicated provisioning
      solutions on top of Seven;
    * persistency is implemented based on top of a reliable high
      performance transactional storage engine for which data is
      checksummed and provides crash recovery with zero maintenance,
      tuning for various QoS aspects is possible.

The Seven Suite <http://www.cheiron.org/seven/index.html#seven_suite> is
Seven together with additional tools, examples, manuals, source code and
should provide you an out-of-the-box experience with Jini™.

The JSC Platform that is part of Seven that incorporates many Jini
Community Standards is mainly based upon code implemented by the Jini™
team at Sun Microsystems (Jini™ Technology Starter Kit) and for which
the continued development takes place at the Apache River
<http://incubator.apache.org/river/> project.