river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Migration to Java 5 - Summary Updated
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 04:08:56 GMT
Just thought I'd go back over the messages and post a summary (with
corrections):

Those in favour of using Java 6 features:

Jeremy Easton-Marks
Greg Wonderly
James Grahn

Those in favour of using Java 5 features:

Dennis Reedy
Jim Waldo
Jonathan Costers
Greg Trasuk
Niclas Hedhman
Dan Rollo
Greg Wonderly
Jukka Zitting
Sean Landis
Peter Firmstone
James Grahn

Those who would like to see continued support for  JRE 1.4 (bytecode
only, using Retrotranslator):

Patrick Wright
Wade Chandler
Peter Firmstone

Those against continued support for JRE 1.4 using Retrotranslator  (ie:
drop support for JRE 1.4 althogether):

Greg Trasuk (my apologies Greg)

Just to clarify; the JRE 1.4 Compatibility Release (Using
Retrotranslator) will NOT hold back the Main River Release, it may even
make sense for it to be officially a Point release (River 3.1) rather
than be supported in a Major Release. It's purpose; To allow continued
support for JRE 1.4 while we move forward, to encourage migration from
Jini 2.1 for existing users still on Java 1.4.

Best Regards,

Peter Firmstone.