river-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Retrotranslator generates Java 1.4 bytecode from Java 1.5 sources - Clarification
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 03:24:05 GMT
On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Dan Rollo <danrollo@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. I want to add to the "drop 1.5, move to 1.5" group. 1.4 is EOL'd, and so
> 1.5 soon...(http://java.sun.com/products/archive/eol.policy.html)

You can put me in the Java5-camp as well. IMHO, classloading-capable
devices are quickly reaching Java5 minimum, and I think no one ever
seriously deployed Jini on small devices.

> 2. If we do use ASM and/or Retrotranslator, do we really need to bank and
> distribute the source for these? Seems clearly versioned binaries would be
> sufficient.

With a Java5 move, this is a moot point, right?
Even so, we don't need to distribute sources on code that we don't
create/modify ourselves. Binary dependencies also have a wider choice
of licensing options. See http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html and
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Cheers
--