river-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: RIVER-272 ClassDep.java relies on Sun specific Internal JDK API
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:06:08 GMT
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>
>> The JDK/JRE itself is not a dependency of the River project, but a
>> system requirement.
>>

> The tools library ships with the JDK, but not the JRE.  The tools library,
> uses parts of other sun libraries that ship with the JRE but are not part of
> the public API (eg imports: sun.net.www.MessageHeader,
> sun.misc.BASE64Encoder, sun.security.pkcs.* in
> sun.tools.jar.SignatureFile.java) , are forbidden and not part of the public
> JRE API.

I think you missed my point. It is OK for a project to list (for
instance)  "Sun's JDK" as a "System Requirement" without coming into
the legal discussion around "Dependencies". "Forbidden" is too strong
a word, I think. "Strongly discouraged" would probably be better, and
we are on thin ice using it, agree.

So, for the "short term", I don't see a problem, even if the classes
leads to GPL'd code. We don't depend on it...

And for the long-term (especially if/when moving beyond JDK1.4), I
totally support the idea of getting rid of it.

Cheers
Niclas