river-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: RIVER-272 ClassDep.java relies on Sun specific Internal JDK API
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 00:59:33 GMT
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:

> The tools source files are listed under the sun.tools classpath in the
> navigation tree.

The JDK/JRE itself is not a dependency of the River project, but a
system requirement.

> The contents of this source file are not part of any
> supported API.  Code that depends on them does so at its own risk:
> they are subject to change or removal without notice.

Correct. It is not an ideal situation, but considering that River is
JDK1.4 at the moment, I think there is less need to be overly
concerned about it. If we can't find a solution under JDK1.4, there is
not much to do about it.

> If the above is not acceptable, is the alternative to document the
> functionality supplied by the tools package interface and replace that by
> constructing an apache licensed library?

Finding a replacement is "good", but I wouldn't say critical at this
point. When/If moving to JDK1.5, we could check with the Harmony
project for ALv2 licensed parts.

Cheers
Niclas