river-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Hobbs" <tom.ho...@sucfin.com>
Subject RE: Board Report is due...
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:47:38 GMT
Hi Peter,

I think you're absolutely right.  Here are my comments on your points;

> 1. Importing River into your preferred IDE, including the tools.jar
into
> your classpath on the correct tested jdk environment and building it.

I hope this experience will be improved when we (I) finish RIVER-301.
The tools.jar thing I believe is RIVER-272.  I seem to recall someone
saying that they're looked at that and were reluctant to post their
patch or that they were intending to look at it.  (I might have dreamed
that conversation though, can anyone else remember it?)

> 2. Getting to know Rivers structure, how it all works, playing around
with
> it, writing some programs that use it to improve understanding.

Unfortunately, I can't see a way around this without spending the
personal effort to actually do the reading and coding required to get
familiar.  My advice, would be to pick one small area and get to know
that and then branch out into other areas as and when.

> 3. Getting to know how the integration tests work to improve
confidence
> your not breaking anything.

This is RIVER-301 again.  I've got an ant script that can now run the
tests I just need to tidy it up and attach it to JIRA.  It's not
perfect, but since I don't understand how the integration tests work
either, I'm having trouble making it so.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete list of all the test
categories?  I don't seem to be able to find it and need it to complete
the script.

I think that the unit tests should be written for new code (someone's
writing new code?) but I doubt that there'll be much take up on writing
unit tests for existing code.

> 4. Becoming confident enough to tackle some of the open issues.

My advice is to just jump in.  Pick an issue (any issue) and try to work
through it.  Attach the patch to JIRA and it'll eventually get looked
at.  I did this with RIVER-296 when I was in no way confident that I
understood the code I was looking at.

There are integration tests and dedicated committers who'll check
through these things and get back to you if it's not correct.  No one is
going to be attacked (I hope, for my sake!) for attaching a patch that
unintentionally breaks the build or isn't a complete fix.

I hope that some of these comments (and the eventual completion of
RIVER-301) will lower the entry barrier.  I'd like to reiterate my final
comment that you shouldn't be reluctant to get involved because you're
not "confident enough".  Nothing improves confidence like trying to
solve a puzzle and eventually getting through it.  That in and of itself
gets you part the way up the learning curve.

Cheers,

Tom