river-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Wright <pdoubl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migration to Java 5
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 19:45:40 GMT
> But, I really am not sure that if we move to a "new" VM platform, that it
> makes sense to say the new minimum is 1.5, when so many things in 1.5 were
> fixed/corrected/enhanced in 1.6.

Some specific questions I think we need to clear up:
1) should River use 1.5 language features?
2) should River use 1.5 specific APIs? Any limitations?
3) should River use (any) 1.6 specific APIs?
4) should River depend on any bug fixes present in 1.6 APIs for APIs
which were already defined in 1.5?

Concerning 1) it seems the consensus is yes with no limitations. The
only language change in 1.6 that I'm aware of in 1.6 is that @Override
can be applied to methods that implement an a method defined in an
interface (thus signaling that the method in question must implement a
method defined either in a superclass or a superinterface, or else
won't compile). I suggest we can live without the @Override change for
the time being.

Concerning 2) the natural candidate is at least java.util.concurrent,
but there are other interesting APIs (see
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/relnotes/features.html). The main
issue with APIs is that without a backport available, the classes that
depend on 1.4 won't be able to use those classes. I think we need to
settle the 1.4 compatibility issue regarding APIs, and my vote is that
we use 1.5 APIs without restrictions. If we remain compatible with
Jini 2.1 for deployment and access of services (at the level of River
infrastructure), we are covered.

Concerning 3), I think it's better for the time being if River does
not use 1.6-specific APIs, unless there are delicious candidates
listed in http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/features.html (I don't
know of any).

Concerning 4), I think the reality of the current deployed base is
that we will need to write and test against 1.5 JDKs and work around
known bugs which were fixed in 1.6 and not backported.

Regards
Patrick