river-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Wright <pdoubl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Retrotranslator
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:20:54 GMT
> Just because the current River codebase is limited to 1.4 doesnt mean new
> work should be constrained to that right?

I think one has to be careful with compatibility across small-device
VMs, which, AFAIK, in some cases are 1.4 compatible (cf. JavaME).
IIRC, some 1.5 features like enums are too large in compiled form for
those VMs and hence were left out. It seems that a benefit of Jini is
that is allows communication across all sorts of VMs including mobile
and embedded devices.

I'd be interested in seeing some more research/discussion on the
compatibility issues, and maybe suggest splitting the difference.
There can be a core which is 1.4 compatible and higher-level tools and
toolkits which are 1.5+ compatible. We rely on annotations to mark up
our services, for example, but that works well above Jini core. A
class dependency tool to build, say, downloadable Jars, might use 1.5
features if it's intended for the build rather than the deploy cycle.

Patrick