river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Migration to Java 5
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:45:12 GMT
The following is an excerpt from a Thesis by Tamara Steijger:

"Downgrading Java 5.0 Projects
An approach based on source-code
transformations"
Tamara Steijger
Oct
2008
MSI Report 08116
Växjö University ISSN 1650-2647
SE-351 95 VÄXJÖ ISRN VXU/MSI/DA/E/--08116/--SE

"...JBossRetro cannot handle anonymous implementation of abstract methods in
enumeration types... In contrast to JBossRetro Retrotranslator has no full
API support. But it can be extended easily if something is missing. It
supports all Java
language features as well as reflection on generics and annotations.
Furthermore, it provides
an enhanced version of the Java 1.4 collection framework. Especially,
the support
of reflection makes Retrotranslator special".

"For projects containing reflection Retrotranslator is probably the only
solution up to now".

An interesting comparison, I think language feature support is more
important the the full API, anyways Retrotranslator also includes some
Java 6 API.

Cheers,

Peter.