river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Migration to Java 5
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 18:21:49 GMT
Wade Chandler wrote:
> I think the story of the state of 1.4 should be observed
> as the reason we need to support 1.5. Too, the state of 1.7,
> which seemingly is still a way off. Folks will be using
> 1.5 for a good while to come I believe. The collections
> changes are good. There are some other good changes. What
> specifically in 1.6 are you thinking will make it better?
> I do think, given history as an example, there are a lot
> of folks though who won't be moving from 1.5 for a long
> time (years still yet).

One of the benefits of moving to 1.5 includes java.util.concurrent.

One of the benefits of moving to 1.6 includes BUG FIXES to java.util.concurrent.

In particular, all the Executor stuff, in 1.5 was not very tolerant of
RuntimeException and would lose threads and cause executors to stall.

I've not kept up with which things were back ported to 1.5 as fixes, vs which
were considered enhancements for 1.6 only.

But, I really am not sure that if we move to a "new" VM platform, that it makes
sense to say the new minimum is 1.5, when so many things in 1.5 were
fixed/corrected/enhanced in 1.6.

Gregg Wonderly