river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Migration to Java 5
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 02:22:15 GMT
Greg Trasuk wrote:
> Just to be specific, I am NOT advocating any wholesale changes to the
> net.jini.* APIs to embrace Java 5 features.  I simply believe that at
> some point it is reasonable to say "Jini requires a Java 5-capable
> virtual machine" and as such, allow new APIs and code updates to use
> Java 5 features.

 I haven't seen anybody suggest changing the API, however if we did we
would need to make sure it was backward compatible similar to the way
Sun implemented Collections, as client code would break without being
rewritten even on Java 5.
> As a side issue, EOL or not, Java 1.4 virtual machines are common in
> industry (e.g older versions of Websphere, etc), so many projects
> currently hold back from making the above assertion.  This may or may
> not be an issue for Jini.

That's the problem I'd like to mitigate with Retrotranslator.  Eg A
client developer may not have the luxury to use JavaSE 5, there might be
a company policy to use Java SE 1.4.2 for whatever reason.   A have your
cake and eat it too moment, although I wouldn't call it a free lunch ;)
If we have a separate download for River-X.X-J2SE1.4.zip, available over
time, monitor the downloads, then we'll know what percentage of our
client base is using 1.4

Looking at the Issues on Jira, I think some of these are going to be
easier to solve using Java 5.

Cheers,

Peter.