river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Migration to Java 5
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:59:22 GMT
There's strong support for migrating to Java 5:

Jukka Zitting has proposed we migrate when renaming com.sun.* packages
to org.apache.river.* (River-261)

What release should this be planned for, AR3?

Summary so far (Please correct me if I'm wrong):

Support for Java 5:

Dennis Reedy
Jim Waldo
Jonathan Costers
Greg Trasuk
Niclas Hedhman
Dan Roller
Greg Wonderly
Jukka Zitting
Sean Landis
Peter Firmstone

Additional support for Java 1.4 bytecode (not source) is possible with
Retrotranslator at build time (I'm happy to implement Retrotranslator in
the build scripts).  There would be a separate Java 1.4 bytecode release
created at build time from the Java 5 class files after compiling with
JDK 1.5 or later.  The separate installation / download for Java 1.4
would allow us to asses remaining demand for Java 1.4.  Is anyone
against this?

Are there any remaining concerns about dropping Source level support for
Java 1.4?

Small devices can take advantage of the Surrogate architecture approach
in future (seems to be a consensus among those on the list).

Cheers,

Peter Firmstone.