river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Retrotranslator
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:15:28 GMT
I'm currently backporting the ClassDepend code that Tim has kindly
provided to J2SE 1.4.

I like his use of J2SE 5.0 language features such as Generics, enhanced
for loops, Varargs and Regex features and was thinking it was a shame to
have to mutilate it ;) to support J2SE 1.4

Retrotranslator (BSD License) also uses ASM to generate class files and
jar's that support J2SE 1.3 and 1.4 from J2SE 1.5 class files.

The the back-ported concurrency utils may assist with RIVER-273
Implement Discovery Kernel for AR3.

Since Retrotranslator  can weave the necessary backport libraries into
the jar's at build time with ant scripts, the binary distribution
doesn't need the Retrotranslator libraries.

We could then support Annotations and integrate Glyph into River to help
ease and speed development of River applications.

Negatives, another library dependency, not all Java 5 features supported.

See http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Peter.