river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: RIVER-272 Working Fix - Licensing?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:42:57 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:
>

>> How would one go about getting a ReplacementTools.jar library added to
>> River?  It isn't licensed under Apache v2.
>>

> There is no way forward, as Jukka points out, and I think it was
> mentioned earlier as well; No GPL (nor LGPL for that matter) code in
> Apache repositories. Period.
> But, my question is; Doesn't Harmony contain the things needed
> already? If so, then there is a path forward (although I think it is
> less than important) as Harmony's sources are clean from a licensing
> point of view.

The consensus is against continuing with ClassDep.java using tools.jar,
apart from licensing & distribution issues, it has some functional
shortcomings, it doesn't detect new language features like generics etc.
Tim Blackman, Mark Brouwer, Patrick Wright and Peter Jones have
indicated support for writing a new ClassDep tool utilising ASM, which
appears a cleaner and more elegant solution, there also appears be some
additional functionality possible. I've posted the code from Bantam
ClassDepAnalyzer (thanks Patrick) in an earlier message, I'm hoping Tim
is happy to submit his code too so we can play around with it.

The current consensus is to replace ClassDep with a new Class Dependency
Analyser utilising the ASM Library.

Now all we need is a place in the repository to collaborate on the
replacment ClassDepAnalyzer.  I'd also like to suggest including and
using a custom namespace for the ASM library, Patrick pointed out on an
earlier discussion that ASM's API is subject to change,  I suspect that
this will settle down as the library matures, however in the mean time,
we don't want it stepping on user code using different versions of ASM
within the same namespace.

I believe we can get the River dev process firing on all cylinders
again, lets concentrate on solutions and get this River flowing.
Suggestion: When you highlight a problem to a proposed solution, don't
get bogged down with the problem, suggest & investigate a number of
solution options to choose from, this opens a discussion for new
proposals and helps to identify arguments for and against each, when
done correctly it's amazing how this accelerates learning, generates
respect and builds a team.  We need input and direction from experienced
developers who may not have the time to code, to guide us.

River might simply be suffering from passionate ideologies and ongoing
arguments causing experienced developers to loose interest in the list,
lets keep them interested.

Best Regards,

Peter Firmstone.