river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: RIVER-272 Working Fix - Licensing? - Other Options?
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:27:59 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Peter Firmstone <jini@zeus.net.au> wrote:
>
>> How would one go about getting a ReplacementTools.jar library added to
>> River?  It isn't licensed under Apache v2.
>>

> We can't include any GPL code in River.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

What are our options?  Your thoughts?  Are there other options?
1. Find an Apache Licensed compiler rewrite ClassDep?
2. Ask Sun to License the tools.jar code subset under the Apache License?
3. Move the functionality of ClassDep outside of River.  We could host a
project "Java Class Dependency Tool" on SourceForge that combined
ClassDep with Apache v2 License and GPLv2 with Classpath Exception under
GPLv3 with Classpath exception.  We can then provide a download link for
that project on the apache river download site?
4. Do nothing for now.

Cheers,

Peter Firmstone.

N.B. I looked into Harmony, & Searched Google for compilers on the net,
to no avail, the Harmony javac compiler is a proxy for the Eclipse
Compiler, see below.  Can anyone confirm existence of javac compiler
under an Apache License?

package org.apache.harmony.tools.javac;

import java.io.File;
import java.io.PrintWriter;
import java.lang.reflect.Constructor;
import java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException;
import java.lang.reflect.Method;
import java.net.MalformedURLException;
import java.net.URL;
import java.net.URLClassLoader;
import org.apache.harmony.tools.toolutils.Util;

/**
 * A proxy to the Java source code compiler itself.
 */
class Compiler {

    /* FIXME: Hard-coded for now, the name of the ECJ JAR file */
    static final String ECJ_JAR_FILE = "ecj_3.3.jar"; //$NON-NLS-1$

    static final String TOOLS_JAR_FILE = "tools.jar"; //$NON-NLS-1$

    /* The name of the ECJ compiler class */
    static final String MAIN_CLASS_NAME =
"org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.batch.Main"; //$NON-NLS-1$

    /*