river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject RIVER-272 ClassDep.java relies on Sun specific Internal JDK API
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:40:39 GMT
There's a great site up at www.lumentier.com that allows traversal of
the jdk-7 source tree.

Check out this link:

http://www.lumentier.com/java/ext/jdk-7-bld1/sun.tools.javac/SourceClass/class-source.lmtr

The tools source files are listed under the sun.tools classpath in the
navigation tree.

I've noticed that the tools classes that River relies on are marked
@Depreciated, and include a warning:

The contents of this source file are not part of any
supported API.  Code that depends on them does so at its own risk:
they are subject to change or removal without notice.

The code is covered under the GPLv2 with class path exception, the
availability of source makes it easy to traverse the dependencies back
to the main jdk source tree.

So I'm wondering, is it possible to start by adding this library as a
separate lib tree to River, under the GPLv2 license with classpath
exception and begin by stripping all un-necessary functionality.   The
tools code also includes imports from forbidden packages from the main
jdk source tree, we could then look at how replacing that code
functionality might be achieved.

If the above is not acceptable, is the alternative to document the
functionality supplied by the tools package interface and replace that
by constructing an apache licensed library?

Cheers,

Peter Firmstone.