river-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Firmstone <j...@zeus.net.au>
Subject Re: Board Report is due...
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:34:17 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to contribute, I'm thinking about nio, SocketChannel and
SSLSocketChannel, however I'm still new to Jini, so there's a relatively
steep learning curve to overcome before I'll feel confident enough to do so.

The obstacles that a new developer faces:

1. Importing River into your preferred IDE, including the tools.jar into
your classpath on the correct tested jdk environment and building it.
2. Getting to know Rivers structure, how it all works, playing around
with it, writing some programs that use it to improve understanding.
3. Getting to know how the integration tests work to improve confidence
your not breaking anything.  It'd be nice if there were some junit tests
for the newer developer to improve confidence and to perform some checks
before committing, unit tests could be added gradually by module and
reduce the burden on the integration test developers.   I'm bogged down
here, I'm in the habit of using junit to assist in understanding code
intricacies.
4. Becoming confident enough to tackle some of the open issues.

There's heaps of documentation available regarding jini, what it is and
supposed to do, however there's a significant learning curve before one
can start using it.

On another front, I'm interested in using it for JavaME CDC embedded
devices, where I guess River has huge potential as these devices become
more powerful and plentiful.

I certainly want to see River succeed, it'd be a terrible shame to see
it terminated, I think we just need to work on lowering the barriers to
entry for new developers as an urgent priority.

Perhaps a page on the website to guide new developers?

Cheers,

Peter Firmstone.