river-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 17:33:12 GMT
On 12/8/08, Michael McGrady <mmcgrady@topiatechnology.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Holger,
>
> The idea is not to jettison but to decouple JINI from JavaSpaces.
> Similarly, in part, various Web frameworks (e.g., Struts) are
> decoupled from Servlets.  Without something like JINI, JavaSpaces
> would be useless but this is different than creating a situation where
> JINI itself, rather than something like JINI, would be required.
>
> The idea too is not to suggest that JINI is something that needs to be
> replaced.  The idea, rather, is that it needs to be decoupled to
> follow architectural best practices and that the lack of cohesion in
> JIN:-JavaSpaces due to the coupling is not a good thing and can be
> seen as the reason for a lot of the unnecessary complexity in River.

Open development projects with larger monolithic codebases often find
it harder to recruit developers. Learning a large codebase is a
considerable investment and the process of earning trust takes longer.

It's common at Apache (and elsewhere) for projects to be composed of a
number of sub-projects or products sharing the same develment team. So
River could easily maintain both JINI and JavaSpaces products.

Robert