river-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: check point (was Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI)
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:24:12 GMT
On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 9:43 PM, Jim Hurley <jim.hurley@mac.com> wrote:
> I don't think breaking River up into these subprojects will make
> things easier, provide value, or further the overall interest in
> the project and technology.

I am sure that those are typical things that enough people in a group
will never manage to agree upon...

> This has been a very long thread, and I am concerned that
> some may be tuning out due to its length and lack of
> specificity and due diligence of actual proposals.  In the
> interest of the project, I'd like to ask for posters to first read
> through the specifications (available at:
> <http://java.sun.com/products/jini/index.html>
> or
> <http://www.jini.org/wiki/Category:Jini_Specifications>
> and read through the code and structure.

Done all of that. What's your point?

> There is certainly plenty of work that we should do in the short
> run, for example:
>  * finalize the AR2 release
>  * complete the Apache River project section, including:
>     Documentation, Javadoc, etc
>  * fix up the Apache incubator page:
>      <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/river.html>
>  * really create a 'todo' list for new and interested developers,
>     and communicate through the list and the "Get Involved" page
>  * etc

Please do... The current "noise" will not interfere with those plans.
Make it happen.

> Proposals with "meat on the bones" ;-) are all most welcome,
> but there doesn't seem to be adequate thought and pre-work
> put into them before throwing an idea out on the list and creating
> long discussions.

Welcome to Apache. There is a long-running tradition to throw in the
crazy ideas first, and then go write the code if there some value to
those ideas. Tossing pre-baked solutions into the community is not
respected here, in fact one Incubation ended abruptly because of it.

> I'm trying to change the tone and focus of the mail list dialog
> with this email.  Please don't respond directly to it on the list - I don't
> think it's healthy for the project and won't engage in a discussion that
> won't further advance the project.

Well, it is a lot more healthier than a silent community and no
action. Pardon me, but your mail have a very "corporate tone", if you
know what I mean... If you are not interested, don't read it... but
please don't tell others to be quiet...

IMHO, there are tons of small things that needs to be done. And a lot
of that can be done without much code changes. My "user perspective"
is perhaps only one of many (incorporate Jini technology into another
open source project), but from where I am coming from Jini 2.x is hard
to use, especially compared to maybe another 100 or so open source
projects that I have crossed path with in a similar fashion. I happen
to think he reason being that Jini comes from a corporate environment,
which delivers software in a certain fashion. I also think that by
stirring up the soup, I can create an "open development" evironment
where things are less homogenous, has flaws here and there so itches
can be scratched without breaking everything.

Too bad you won't engage in discussions, but that is your right.


Cheers
Niclas

Mime
View raw message