river-dev mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2008 07:11:04 GMT
On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Michael McGrady
<mmcgrady@topiatechnology.com> wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2008, at 8:12 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>
>> Go read RFC-2165 and all the related ones. Then come back and say that
>> IETF is not concerned with Service Lookup. It is a different topic
>> whether Jini should now use SLP or not, but AFAIU SLP wasn't around
>> when the Jini team started out...
>
> The first public notice of JINI was by NYT reporter John Markoff in 1999 and
> SLA version RFC-2165 was in 1997.  At any rate, due to the nature of the
> IEtrF Sun certainly could have created SLA for JINI with minimal difficulty
> for IEtF whenever it wanted to.  You and I could have, if you and I had a
> corporation and a collaboration.

At first one would yell "NIH syndrome", but then Sun Microsystem was
part of the RFC-2165 authors, so...

But I agree, that Jini could have changed to SLP at some point in
time, and I have no answer why it didn't happen. I suspect it was a
matter of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

Cheers
Niclas