river-dev mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:03:40 GMT
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Renaldo Bodega
<renaldo.bodega@gmail.com> wrote:

> 'old timers', huh? Do any of the other 'old timers' on this list
> think it's a bit ironic that one of the members of the expert
> group that voted down JSRs 76 & 78 is now frustrated, and
> complaining about people preventing progress with Jini/River?

I take that as a direct attack on me personally, but I am not upset
over it, as I think you don't really mean to be nasty...

So let's get this straight; I was invited by the Sun spec lead of
JSR-78, Ann Wollrath, to be part of the EG. I think it was due to a
combination of my high participation on the RMI-USERS mailing list in
the years prior to the JSR, and the fact that I stretched the RMI
capabilities further than most and because of that was familiar with a
lot of internals and special use-cases.
NO, I definitely didn't vote down those JSRs. I was on the EG, not the
EC and didn't have any power to vote. In fact, at that time I was not
even a member of the JCP and sign some special exemption paper... who
knows...
YES, I was not in agreement with Sun on a lot of the details in JSR-78
and thought that we should spend the needed time to get it right,
instead of pushing it pre-maturely into the upcoming JDK release (was
it 1.3?). Configuration was one area where I was not happy, some of
the threading issues if I am not mistaken felt wrong as well. But
after some "kick my ass" attitude from Ann, I recall I vote in favor
to move it for EC Ballot.

I was not happy that the JSR-78 was voted down, and the JSR-76 became
more or less a defacto failure since it relied on the custom
references. Why the various EC members voted the way they did is
beyond my knowledge. I don't necessarily by into the comments given,
and not necessarily to the rumors I have heard over the years, so I
just leave it at that.

And yeah, in the midst of all the turbulence in the EG towards the end
(rush rush rush), I was also deploying a nice Jini based enterprise
system... Ironic... Yes, one could say so...

We can discuss this more in person if we ever meet up. If you come to
Malaysia/Singapore, give me a call...

Cheers
Niclas