river-dev mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:33:09 GMT
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Dan Creswell <dan@dcrdev.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Personally I think a more interesting question is:
>
> "What do you gain by not bothering with the Jini part?"

Since you asked (take your pick);

 1. An appealing programming model that is also suitable for
single-JVM applications, which could (IF need arise!!) be complemented
with a distributed version without change of the application sources.
People tend to like solutions that are easy to start with and that can
become powerful if/when that need arises. I think that the failure of
the Jini folks (then and now) to acknowledge this is one of the
biggest mistakes done. The same argument could be done for the entire
Jini platform.

 2. With more light-weight implementations available, unit-testing of
applications built-in on top of Javaspaces becomes a breeze. If anyone
claims that unittesting with Jini is easy, please send me the abstract
testcase I can use, because I am literally stuck.

 3. Since JINI already have nailed the "it's too complex" coffin shut
in the minds of the world's Java developers, I think it is important
that we not only say "Listen! It ain't that hard!", but actually
provide a brand new toolkit (not app!) where the average developer
after 10 minutes goes "Cheeze, this is so cool..." and clearly sees
that "Hey, I can use this with little or no impact now...", instead of
the "Do it the Jini way or no way at all.". Javaspaces provides,
IMVHO, an important stepping stone towards this goal. We can present
the Space programming model, showcase when/why it is useful, and inch
the full-blown Outrigger into the developers mind without him/her
actively taking the "Jini decision".

Cheers
Niclas