river-dev mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: code name alternatives (was Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI)
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 02:13:07 GMT
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:52 AM, James Grahn <jgrahn@simulexinc.com> wrote:

> I agree that code names are... at least on par with acronyms in many cases,
> because acronyms rapidly converge to nonsense too (inserting words to make
> the acronym distinct, alphabet soup, &c).   But cramming half a dozen code
> names into a single project seems a bit extreme.
>
> It may be boring, but personally I'd prefer descriptive package & jar names
> to code names.
>
> So:
> Outrigger -> services.space
> Mahalo -> services.transaction
> Reggie -> services.lookup or services.registrar
> and so on (with similar changes to jar names).

After having had these names around for 8-9 years, I think they should
just stay. But if we do 'modularization' it can be grouped as
subprojects along 'functionality' instead. Huh??  Outrigger is not
JavaSpaces. It is one possible (albeit Reference) implementation of
the JavaSpaces API. Meaning, I would probably like to see;

services/
    javaspaces/
        api/
        outrigger/

I think that tailor for the 'what is that?' confusion that we have
with all (sub) projects, even if the have declarative names.

Cheers
Niclas