river-dev mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 06:35:25 GMT
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Gregg Wonderly <gregg@wonderly.org> wrote:

> Okay, I think there needs to be a viewpoint expressed here that comes from a
> different direction.  Jini is not all the services in River.  Jini is the
> foundation/API in River, which allows you to create clients and services.
>  These utilize the Java security system, Java mobile code, and the Java
> platform, in general, to effectively (and I'd say efficiently) create
> distributed, scalable network centric applications.

We hear ya; but relax a second,

1. Spaces as a concept is not bound to Jini.

2. A Spaces API can likewise be Jini-agnostic.

3. Outrigger (the Jini backed Spaces implementation) *could* implement
the above mentioned Spaces API as well.

4. A LocalSpaces implementation *could* exist for various reasons.

5. Other Spaces implemenations *could* exist for various reasons.

Example; Go to www.jpos.org, which deals with Payment Gateways (VISA
et al), and you will find several local implementations of spaces as a
programming model. Alejandro doesn't need it to be distributed, but to
simplify the domain. He almost included JavaSpaces as well, but for
the reasons mentioned here (not easy to integrate seaminglessly into
other applications), he back paddled many years ago.

Cheers
Niclas