river-dev mailing list archives

From "Niclas Hedhman" <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Deciding the Future
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 02:00:13 GMT
On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Wade Chandler
<hwadechandler-apache@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Looking over the build scripts, src directories, and other resource directories, too
the structure could be better laid out. For instance, there is a top level build.xml, then
below in src there is build.xml. Too, under src there are folders for manifest, configentry,
and then the Java packages are right there. There could be better separation.

Under TDD mantra this is a red flag; If it is hard to set up tests,
then it is hard to work with the codebase.

And from my experience, that is exactly what comes to mind, and the
way to get something up within a day is the "Launch All" convenience,
which is more like a End-User Application than a system development
kit.

Well, I still think that there are a lot of room for improvement, and
instead of telling "each other"/"others" what should be done, I think
it is time for us to move into action. The main problem I have is that
there is need for a structural make-over, which is not suitable for
small and evolutionary steps. Can we agree to open up a new branch?

 - Modularized into one 'module' per 'artifact'.
 - Adoption of sound architectural principles.
 - Testcases as near as possible to the code under test.
 - JUnit as test framework.
 - "Doers decide", i.e. "you don't like it, step up..."

Cheers
Niclas