river-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "John Sarman" <johnsar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:57:05 GMT
Well I'm am not the one to ask that, I have been called a Jini zealot more
than once in my life.  In fact I would be highly upset if that were to
happen.  I could not imagine JavaSpaces without Jini.  One example, I
created a hypercube of COTS for a undergrad project.  It simulated a
parallel computer infrastructure with PCs.  In that I used the JavaSpaces as
a work pool and had each machine (running rio) fight for work.  No master
involved.  I completed the task in 3 weeks.  I could not image creating such
a large project with one person in a 3 week timeframe that was so powerful.
If the only technology I had would have been Javaspaces, then I would not
have been able to take advantage of placing a smart proxy as in the Space
via an Entry class and consuming that so that the 2 machines could do data
intensive transactions without having to push all the data through the
space. I think you should give Jini one more shot! In fact a good experiment
would be to try this:
https://user-jwfmcclain.dev.java.net/holowaa/holowaa.html.  It is the
technology I used for the data intensive operations.  It is a wonderful
example of why the two technologies are both important.

John

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Michael McGrady <
mmcgrady@topiatechnology.com> wrote:

> Thanks, John.  I agree with everything you say.  However . . . but . . .
> why not do what it takes to split them?  Why not put all the classes
> necessry to do JavaSpaces in JavaSpaces?  Now would be the time to do it, if
> ever?  If one of JavaSpaces or JINI has to "wear the pants", shouldn't it be
> JavaSpaces and not JINI, i.e., shouldn't JINI depend on JavaSpaces and not
> the reverse?
>
> Mike
>
>
>
> On Dec 7, 2008, at 6:52 PM, John Sarman wrote:
>
>  Mike,
>>  Besides the Blitz standalone JavaSpaces, I am not aware of JavaSpaces
>> implementation that is usable without Jini.
>> Even then you still need jini core at a minimum at least to compile the
>> JavaSpaces interfaces.  For example Javaspaces uses the jini Entry
>> Specification, the jini event Specification, the jini Transaction
>> Specification, etc.   So the technology is tightly coupled to the core
>> specification of Jini.  So to breakoff Javaspaces to "grow on its own" is
>> not possible without including the core.  I would suggest checking out Dan
>> Creswell's Blitz project http://www.dancres.org/ because he broke off
>> JavaSpaces and grew it in his own GPL way.
>> Also check out http://www.jini.org/wiki/JavaSpaces_Specification to see
>> exactly all the Jini JavaSpaces couplings.
>>
>> John Sarman
>> Systems Engineer
>> TetraCam Inc.
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Michael McGrady <
>> mmcgrady@topiatechnology.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> I have not read all of the threads but in terms of future directions, has
>>> anyone considered breaking off JavaSpaces from JINI so that JavaSpaces
>>> could
>>> grow on its own.  My interest is JavaSpaces, not JINI at this time.
>>>
>>> MIKE
>>>
>>> Michael McGrady
>>> Senior Engineer
>>> Topia Technology, Inc.
>>> 1.253.720.3365
>>> mmcgrady@topiatechnology.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
> Michael McGrady
> Senior Engineer
> Topia Technology, Inc.
> 1.253.720.3365
> mmcgrady@topiatechnology.com
>
>
>
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message