river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:15:35 GMT
Thanks, Greg,

There is no reason to couple lookup to spaces even though lookup is
absolutely required.  Decoupling the lookup from the spaces would
allow different lookup implementations but more importantly it would
allow both the lookup and the spaces to be cohesive.

Low cohesion is architecturally a prime and virtually certain cause of
unnecessary complexity, including the coupling of lookup to spaces.

Is there authorization to send images (GIGs, PDFs) in the emails to
this list.  If so, this would be easier to illustrate than to explain.

Mike

On Dec 8, 2008, at 10:01 AM, Greg Trasuk wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 12:18, Michael McGrady wrote:
>> Thanks, Holger,
>>
>> The idea is not to jettison but to decouple JINI from JavaSpaces.
>> Similarly, in part, various Web frameworks (e.g., Struts) are
>> decoupled from Servlets.  Without something like JINI, JavaSpaces
>> would be useless but this is different than creating a situation
>> where
>> JINI itself, rather than something like JINI, would be required.
>>

> I can understand the view that JavaSpaces is an "application" on top
> of
> Jini, therefore could be separated.  But I don't get what you do with
> JavaSpaces sans Jini.  As someone else pointed out, how do you lookup
> your space without Jini?
>
>> The idea too is not to suggest that JINI is something that needs to
>> be
>> replaced.  The idea, rather, is that it needs to be decoupled to
>> follow architectural best practices and that the lack of cohesion in
>> JIN:-JavaSpaces due to the coupling is not a good thing and can be
>> seen as the reason for a lot of the unnecessary complexity in River.
>>

> Could you perhaps expand on what unnecessary complexity you see?
>> Mike
>>

> Cheers,
>
> Greg.

Michael McGrady