river-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Reedy <dennis.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deciding the Future
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:59:48 GMT

> I fail to see the need for Maven here too, the River codebase has no
> dependencies on anything else but J2SE 1.4. If people want to have
> artifacts published I can see the value of that.

Agree here 100%

> If we decide it is a good thing to break up the current starter kit
> in a
> Jini Platform, the deployment framework and the individual services
> that
> implements the specs there are indeed some improvements that could be
> made.

I agree here as well. IMO, River needs to be simplified. From where I
sit I see River providing infrastructure technology that allows us to
build dynamic distributed systems using Java technology. River
provides the infrastructure technology that technologies higher in the
stack to build upon.

I think it would be great to have a River core (discovery/join,
lookup, leasing, transactions & distributed events), with sub-projects
starting with JavaSpaces. Other services TBD

>  For many of the
> things I hear I wonder whether these are not already 'solved' by
> projects based on River (or most likely the JTSK codebase). And I fail
> to see why River should be the vehicle for all that.

+1 here as well.