river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:28:03 GMT
See infra:

On Dec 20, 2008, at 3:13 AM, Dan Creswell wrote:

> Well that comes across nice and patronising....

I have the utmost respect for the work done on JINI or I would not be
here.  Obviously JINI was built by a talented bunch of people.
However, obviously there is a problem with JINI.  JINI has failed to
achieve its promise.  Also, the problem with JINI is not engineering.
Obviously the people involved on the project are preeminent
engineers.  The problem is architecture.  Bringing up this issue is
not patronizing.  If you don't like it, sorry.  But the topic has to
be broached.

> I do think you should get off your high horse and consider changing
> your
> thinking and doing some reading of your own.

Dan, this is not adult.

> You're acting very superior like you know it all, care to list your
> credentials to prove the point?

I can state a point of view that relates to JINI and is different than
you without being attacked like this, i hope.  I have to say from an
architectural point of view this is not "know it all" but fairly
rudimentary.  Anyway, at the risk of boring the list, here are a few
of my "credentials".

A blurb abut what I do is at http://www.topiatechnology.com/Page.aspx?nid=41
.  My last resume ws about 30 pages long, so I will keep it short.

My first work on computers began long, long before there was a
computer science division in any university.  I built a computer for
my senior science project in 1960.  My first engineering job after the
United States Naval Academy was in 1964 at James Ford Bell Research
Center (General Mills) in Golden Valley, MN, on a UNIVAC with Fortran
working on national transportation issues.

My present principal tasks involve (1) work as principal investigator
on funded R&D for a product  connecting the cross-domain, multi-level
security, networks for the GIG (Global Information Grid of the United
States DoD) and the NAS (FAA, SWIM, etc) as well as SESAR (European),
etc. on an Air Force SBIR (AF081-028) through the Air Force labs in
Rome, N.Y. and (2) work on INSCOM products.

This year I presented papers you can buy through the IEEE at both the
DASC and the INCNS conferences entitled, respectively, Integration and
Management of Dynamic Systems (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/tocresult.jsp?isnumber=4702732&isYear=2008&count=135&page=1&ResultStart=25

)  and The Use of Mobile Object Technology in Net-Centric Systems (http://i-cns.org/agenda/2008/

).  Since the IEEE holds the copyright on these papers I cannot make
them available to you.

> Michael McGrady wrote:
>> I do think that a nice read of "The Cathedral and the Bizarre"
>> would be
>> good for River enthusiasts right now.  One thing that form first
>> function second (building a framework, application, etc. without
>> client
>> input, pretty much all open source) must seek is constant feedback
>> from
>> clients, user groups.  Lack of interest is a huge signal that
>> something
>> is wrong.  This is especially so with a framework like JavaSpaces or
>> JINI that is supposed to have very wide applicability.

I stand by this and want to note that it is pretty basic stuff
relating to open source.

Mike

Michael McGrady
Senior Engineer