river-dev mailing list archives

From Jools <jool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:02:37 GMT
2008/12/11 Calum Shaw-Mackay <calum.shawmackay@gmail.com>

> To my mind - if you can't get something up and running within 10
> minutes, no amount of 'but it's cool' will save you. Jini doesn't have
> the groundswell that other projects have for instance Spring that will
> keep a developer looking at it and the docs for a couple of hours
> before they get something useful happening...

I'd love to agree with that, but I don't. Jini is just something under the
covers.
If you want the 10 minute quick fix use Rio, or seven. It'll get you up and
running
(sorry if I've missed anybody else), and then you can start to get your
project going.

Jini is the glue. Not the application. If you need to do more 'Jini' stuff,
you've already got a app running and you can then explore.
But don't make some poor developer have to grasp Jini and all the horrid
things it has to handle from day one.
Let him use a tool designed to make his life easier, then feed the bitter
pill later :-)

So, lets make the core toolkit easier for the writers of the service
execution environments which the clients use.

--Jools