river-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Hobbs" <tom.ho...@sucden.co.uk>
Subject RE: Deciding the Future
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:24:03 GMT
I can't speak for the person who made the original point - the "more
complicated, less accessible build" bit, but when compared to other
projects River is a more complicated project to build and test from
source.

It might not be that the process /is/ difficult, it's just that it's
/more/ difficult than other projects.  Maybe it has to be because River
is unique and complicated enough that it can't work the same way as
other projects.  I don't know.

>From my experience with other projects, from Open Source to separate
projects within my company; it's typical to check out "The Project" from
the repository and the IDE magically presents you with a "src" and a
"test" directory, with the right code in each.  Running the tests is
then a simple case of right-clicking on something and selecting "Test".

(The above process is shortened for readability, if you're using
NetBeans then much Clean-and-Building, restarting, shouting and crying
is usually required.  :-)

The Readme that comes with the tests is easy enough to follow assuming
you have everything setup in the right places.  Having said that, part
of the incantation to run the tests asks for category name(s) - a
complete list of which I couldn't find.

It would be nice (in my opinion and that's why I'm working on it at the
moment) to have the tests in the same project as the source, using a
common test framework (JUnit?) that the IDE can pick up and test with
easy pointy-clickyness.  I think that this will make it easier for
other/new developers to get involved with the River code.

And that's what I think is meant by "more difficult, less accessible"
and "barrier to entry".

Cheers,

Tom