river-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <hwadechandler-apa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Screw "the future".
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:47:45 GMT
----- Original Message ----

This is indeed the way NB works:
http://hg.netbeans.org/

Plenty of branches which are not necessarily going to be ported back into the trunk/main,
but are created and worked in as things need to be explored. Without exploration, the ability
to do so, and the flexibility to try new things and get folks to at least look at it what
kind of a community would it be? The source control system can help here as with Hg one can
share their repository/clone and their modifications more easily without it having to be hosted
on a particular server, but that too can cause other headaches such as locating branches/forks,
user control, etc. Anyways, the main point is not everything has to be worked on in a single
branch, and not every branch has to make its way back to the trunk. But, ideas and code and
communicating about them are essentially the only things these type communities have outside
of users and requirements, and that is part of what makes them fun.

Wade

Wade Chandler, CCE
Software Engineer and Developer, Certified Forensic Computer Examiner, NetBeans Dream Team
Member, and NetBeans Board Member
http://www.certified-computer-examiner.com
http://www.netbeans.org