river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:22:31 GMT
+1  This is not, I would stress, to question or to otherwise lessen
the value of JINI.  This is just to allow JavaSpaces to live its
"natural life" and to move what is in JINI but belongs in JavaSpaces
to JavaSpaces so that a Java implementation of Linda spaces can stand
on its own.  Then, as Niclas has noted, JINI can use and extend
JavaSpaces as required.

This seems to me to be a win/win and I believe this would provide
significant wind to JavaSpaces and JINI sails.

Mike

On Dec 10, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Dan Creswell
> <dan@dcrdev.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Personally I think a more interesting question is:
>>
>> "What do you gain by not bothering with the Jini part?"
>
> Since you asked (take your pick);
>
> 1. An appealing programming model that is also suitable for
> single-JVM applications, which could (IF need arise!!) be complemented
> with a distributed version without change of the application sources.
> People tend to like solutions that are easy to start with and that can
> become powerful if/when that need arises. I think that the failure of
> the Jini folks (then and now) to acknowledge this is one of the
> biggest mistakes done. The same argument could be done for the entire
> Jini platform.
>
> 2. With more light-weight implementations available, unit-testing of
> applications built-in on top of Javaspaces becomes a breeze. If anyone
> claims that unittesting with Jini is easy, please send me the abstract
> testcase I can use, because I am literally stuck.
>
> 3. Since JINI already have nailed the "it's too complex" coffin shut
> in the minds of the world's Java developers, I think it is important
> that we not only say "Listen! It ain't that hard!", but actually
> provide a brand new toolkit (not app!) where the average developer
> after 10 minutes goes "Cheeze, this is so cool..." and clearly sees
> that "Hey, I can use this with little or no impact now...", instead of
> the "Do it the Jini way or no way at all.". Javaspaces provides,
> IMVHO, an important stepping stone towards this goal. We can present
> the Space programming model, showcase when/why it is useful, and inch
> the full-blown Outrigger into the developers mind without him/her
> actively taking the "Jini decision".
>

> Cheers
> Niclas

Michael McGrady