river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:02:16 GMT

On Dec 20, 2008, at 2:55 AM, Dan Creswell wrote:

> Michael McGrady wrote:
>> A space is utterly useless without an entry.  Yet, Entry is not in
>> JavaSpaces.  That is a serious architectural no-no, I think.
>>

> Sorry, not true - that's like saying JDK APIs are not in my Tomcat
> instance and it's a no-no.
>
> Entry is not in lookup either.....

No, Dan, it is not like that at all.  In my opinion, you are confused
about decoupling and cohesion and do not understand them.  Sorry.
They are fundamental and your comments continually seem to
misunderstand how they work.

Imagine that the JDK API and implementation included Tomcat classes.
That is the situation I am talking about.  I know that you hate this
Dan, but the analysis has to be conducted at the level of seeing where
there is proper cohesion and decoupling.

I am not saying that the JDK API is not included in a Tomcat
instance.  What I am talking about is something like an ESB
implementation of a SOA.  People get really confused about this.
Especially engineering people.   The reason is that even though
integration logic is totally separated from business logic, when
things are running they are "mixed".  This is no surprise.  The reason
is that even though higher level types of communication (event-based
for example have producers and consumers that are utterly ignorant of
each other, at some level they have to be connected to communicate.
The fact that the "instance" of an ESB network node must include both
ends of the bus endpoints does not mean there is not really a
separation and true decoupling.

Michael McGrady
Senior Engineer
Topia Technology, Inc.