river-dev mailing list archives

From "Calum Shaw-Mackay" <calum.shawmac...@gmail.com>
Subject State of the Dysfunctional Union
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:27:51 GMT
All -
As it's Christmas Eve, and 2008 is rapidly waning ready for 2009, and
with all the discussion of SOA theories and practicalities, splitting
Jini and Javaspaces and what not, I think now appears to be a fairly
good time to put my thoughts down in an email in a hope of progressing
the River project and perhaps even speeding it up to glacial speed.

* May 6 River 2.1.1 incubating
* Jini began to be moved and formalised as River almost 2 years ago (26/12/2006)
* Sun JTSK 2.1 was released over three years ago

Does anyone else feel that, even with the move to Apache, and the
setup of the PMC etc, that this is just far too long between
releases?.... in fact it's taken us 3 years to get to a minor revision
change 2.1 to 2.1.1. I completely understand that it has taken time to
conduct the move and deal with the change in project politics but I
don't think I've ever heard mentioned on this list issues regarding
refining/evolving the Jini specs, a roadmap plan (properly discussed)
for 2.2 and 2.3 (or even 3.0)

Can anyone please shed some light or even just their thoughts on how
this situation is going to change, because if it doesn't I'm afraid
this project, and technology will stagnate and die a long lingering
death

Apologies if this sounds like a rant, but with this time of year being
one of both hope and reflection, I thought it was timely to ask some
of these difficult questions.