river-dev mailing list archives

From "Calum Shaw-Mackay" <calum.shawmac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:44:52 GMT
I think shouting Fork is a little premature.... I think before we
think that the project is in limbo.... perhaps we should think more
that the committers are in limbo...

We need a common set of goals... bugfixes and little tweaks to support
your own wants and nullify your own niggles with the tech is all well
and good but it does not progress anything in any direction but that
of a small group of interested parties.... I believe we have to stop
thinking about what is right for 'abc' and start looking at the bigger
picture and what is right for the project as a whole

We need to qualify and quantify these goals against cost, speed and
quality and start getting some of them our the door. For instance to
my mind, a small bigfix may be easy to do but may pale into
insignificance when say putting XA support into the transaction
manager, or starting a spec for qualifiable entry matching (the old
less than X more than Y argument). I think what Niclas is alluding to
is that we do not have much time in which to further stagnate this
technology.... 1.4 is now out of support for normal end users although
business support continues to 2018, we can't use the same excuses any
more... and with not having the full resources of the sun team we have
to take this on our selves and actually get on with it.

Calum