river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McGrady <mmcgr...@topiatechnology.com>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:54:43 GMT
I have given you my answer but I will do so again.

I think JINI is conceptually dependent on JavaSpaces.  No JavaSpaces,
no JINI, conceptually.

JavaSpace is not dependent on JINI.  No JINI, no worries,
conceptually.  That is only a problem now because interfaces that
should be in JavaSpaces are in JINI.

I think that JavaSpaces must include certain features, e.g., entries,
operations on entries, etc.  This is the core technology to my way of
thinking.  There is no cookie cutter exact answer to exactly where to
draw the line.  JavaSpaces should be completely independent of JINI.
JINI should be intelligence on top of JavaSpaces with a different and
additional purpose.

Mike

On Dec 11, 2008, at 6:37 PM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:

> Michael McGrady wrote:
>> The idea of having JavaSpaces be dependent upon JINI rather than
>> vice versa has no justification that I can see.  Why would you do
>> that?
>
> Michael, you keep saying this without illustrating which parts of
> Jini JavaSpaces shouldn't use.
>
> Can you describe the type structure that you would convert all the
> things in the JavaSpace interface API to which would allow a new
> JavaSpace with your described independence work in an environment
> with applications that use the current JavaSpace?  That might help
> us understand the path of adoption into existing application bases.
>
> Gregg Wonderly

Michael McGrady
Senior Engineer
Topia Technology, Inc.