river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:00:59 GMT
Michael McGrady wrote:
> The problem is not complexity.  Most of us are very good at complexity.
> I work with hugely complex systems.  They are quire manageable because
> they have a well architected structure.
>
> We can manage complexity that has a semantic base.  The problem here is
> that the complexity is the result of a poor architecture, structure.

No it isn't - it's about the fact that the out of the box experience is
broken and relies on everybody having a proper network setup and
understand codebases (of the downloadable variety) and a bunch of other
stuff.

i.e.  It's about the setup surface area, as Niclas has said.

> The continued suggestion by those who seem to want to keep the structure
> as it is that the rest just want things to be easy could be seen as a
> dodge.  Would we really be here if we were looking for ease and
> comfort?  We want performance and we are interested in JINI etc. but
> also know that complexity is sometimes not necessary but just the result
> of poor architecture.

And I would claim this isn't poor architecture it's about poor packaging
of .jars.

What you seem to want is a
javaspaces-with-all-dependencies-and-no-lookup.jar

That isn't architectural.....

In spite of repeated claims you have yet to back them up and I consider
*that* to be a dodge (to use your words).  Worse you make these claims
whilst openly declaring you haven't looked at Jini in depth - if you
haven't looked in depth I simply don't see how you make proclamations
about architecture with any confidence.

Stop acting the victim, back up your position with knowledge and a
decent argument.  I am more than happy to listen, see my responses to
Niclas which include agreement with points well made so please don't
claim otherwise.