river-dev mailing list archives

From Holger Hoffstätte <hol...@wizards.de>
Subject Re: Split JavaSpaces and JINI
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:34:33 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:14 AM, Holger Hoffstätte <holger@wizards.de> wrote:
>> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>> [snip long list of wishes]
>>> Does that help, or am I still confusing?
>> That made perfect sense and is in fact a great list of .. wait for it ..
>> requirements. :^)
>
> Perhaps, but I doubt that there is any consensus around such list, and

Well you have mine, for what it's worth.

> once everyone have added everythng they 'need', you will end up with
> possibly contradictory requirements and stalemate... :o(

Which is exactly where I tried to lead the discussion (thanks for
following ;): the lack of shared goals combined with lack of benevolent
dictator combined with lack of access leads to starvation.

A good way to conclude what to do is often to decide what NOT to do
instead. Maybe we can take it from there, but please not in this thread.

Btw, and I'm not making this up, but I heard exactly that last night at
Devoxx from another long-time Jini user who has also entertained the idea
of forking the code base simply because the committer model is an
inhibitor to any progress whatsoever. (I really don't want to argue about
Apache here, it is what it is.)

Holger